Storytelling across Borders
The identity of the people in different countries can be connected with the local stories that are told. We want our students to share local story and narrative traditions with each other and use it as a starting point for telling their own stories jointly
using media and technology, the common language of the students of today - and at the same time developing their creativity.
The project Storytelling across borders will include 3 stages during the project period of two years:
Stage 1: The students gather and/or write good stories locally in the participating countries in native tongue. The stories are translated into English and German - written or recorded using e.g. podcast - are passed through a joint webplatform: an eJournal. The participants will get an insight into each other's stories and narrative traditions.
Stage 2: The students make different projects across the borders. A joint story or several starts in one country; another country takes over and writes the next chapter, a third country writes the 3rd chapter etc.
Countries will join together in smaller groups and e.g. write short stories using a specific genre.
Another group of students from partner schools could make a radio play, etc.
Stage 3: Groups of students from partnerschools make a script for a short movie together. Actors, camera men, tone masters, production designers etc. will all be cast - just like when making a real movie production. "Station Next", a film institute in Copenhagen will be in charge of this part and will provide producers during the process of writing the script. Furthermore "Station Next" will provide a studio and locations at FILMBYEN in Avedøre, Copenhagen.
This last stage will end in a four day school trip. The casted students from the partner countries participaring will be accomodated in FILMBYEN at a hostel and will be living as a professional film crew.
The teachers will be invited to watch some of the shootings and of course the grand-opening in the cinema.
Project objectives and strategy
The objectives of the partnership is to develop participants`:
- intercultural awareness and competences: Building on local narrative traditions as an eye-opener to international understanding. Sharing oral, written and digital stories.
- ICT-competences: using e.g. eJournal, podcasting, text-messaging, and the film media (filming, editing and streaming)
- Social competences: using eJournal and other web 2.0 tools to learn and to relate to others
- Foreign languages competences: using English and for some students German as well, orally and written communication, (1) in finding and telling local stories, (2) various sub-projects and finally (3) in the production of the film.
- To favour the interdisciplinary work inside the own school.
- To integrate equal opportunities by means of the analysis of some aspects of the project from the perspective of genre.