Social media in international projects
Using Facebook in classroom: do's and don'ts
Other Social networks
For the preparation of the course we used a Social network. Mixxt has a free version (that is what we use) and premium plans (not free). Read more.
In the previous years we used Ning, last year we used Socialgo. Ning doesn't give free networks any more.
Ning Mini costs19,95 dollar / year for max 150 members with limited features. Read more here.
A social network such as Mixxt, Socialgo and Ning (and there are many more) look a bit like Facebook. The main difference is that you can set your network private and you can control who will be a member. The profiles of the members can be seen only by other members of your own social network if you set it on private.
Read more about how such a social network is different from a Facebook group. Click here.
Social networks reviews
Good review on Mixxt social network. At the left you see a list of similar social networks and you can read the review by clicking on the name.
Examples of use of Ning social network for Comenius projects
1. Ning social network for a Comenius project. The theme is: Where have all the bees gone?
This network has been set on private, but in such a way that visitors can see the main page. It is interesting to read here the text about Nettiquette.
2. Public Ning network for a Comenius project with 4 countries. Theme: tales representing the culture of the country.
3. Public Ning network: 7 schools on art and environment.
Comparisons of Social media and discussions
1. comparison of Twitter, Facebook, Ning and Elgg. Read here.
2. comparison table of Blogs, Wikis, Docs (with a lot of examples)
3. Interesting blog article and discussion on social networks as Ning vs Facebook